Summer BBQ Chicken Kebabs
I don't want to jinx it, but I think it's FINALLY safe to say... WINTER IS OVER!! Time to put away the boots and jackets, take out the flip flops and shorts and get that awesome driving arm darker than the other tan look going. Another thing it means is that BBQ season is here in full force!
I'm someone who BBQ's all year, but I'm sure most of you would agree with me when I say it's much more pleasant in short and a t-shirt (and a drink with an umbrella in it), than in a jacket and boots, and having the warm sunshine beaming down.
For today's post, I'm going with something that was always a BBQ staple in our family, the Chicken Kebab! Not only are they delicious and healthy, they are super versatile and can really make dinner planning a breeze! You can pre-cut your ingredients and have them ready for when it's time to assemble and cook them. I suggest marinating the chicken with your favourite kind of flavouring to really get it into the chicken, as it's the star here, while the complimenting sides help it shine.
I am bringing the summer freshness with this recipe with a marinade full of citrus, and a bit of heat from a chipotle pepper, but it balances out nicely with the addition of the pineapple on the skewer. For the veggies, use what you like best. They're all good. I went with zucchini, red onion, and green and orange peppers with the pineapple. When we grill the kebabs, we don't want the heat too high as it will dry out and burn the vegetables (a bit of char is ok, but we don't want burnt). Set your grill to a medium-high heat (reading around 350ish),and rotate the skewers every 5 minutes until the chicken is done.
You can pair your Chicken Kebabs with whatever you'd like but I tend to usually lean toward using rice as it really compliments well, and I added some roasted corn to it which really worked well with the flavours of the kebab.
Whether you're having a dinner party or are looking for a meal idea that is simple to prepare and execute, these Chicken Kebabs are a sure hit! Don't forget to send me an invite to your next backyard BBQ!
- The Kid
2 chicken breasts
Vegetables (I used zucchini, orange and green peppers, red onion and pineapple)
Skewers (can use wood or metal)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 chipotle pepper (chopped)
Small hand full fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 clove fresh garlic (minced)
salt and pepper
Juice from 1/2 orange
Juice from 1/2 lime
1. Cut chicken breasts into cubes (approx 1.5-2 inches thick). Combine all marinade ingredients and whisk until combined, then pour over the chicken pieces. Work it in with your hands then put everything in a ziplock bag and let marinade for a minimum of 1 hour in the fridge
2. When ready to assemble the kebabs, turn grill on to medium-high heat.
3. Slice vegetables and pineapple into medium sized pieces and toss with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper
4. Rub some olive oil on the skewers before putting any of the ingredients on them. Assemble your skewers any way you'd like with a mix of chicken, pineapple and veggies. (I like to put a pineapple piece before of after a chicken piece so the juice penetrates the chicken, infusing even more flavour!)
5. Cook until the chicken is done, rotating skewers every 5 minutes.
6. Plate with some rice and roasted corn or any other side you're in the mood for!