Grilled Watermelon Feta Stacks
Helloooo summer!! I've been spending my week in shorts, sitting in my deck experimenting with different "patio drinks" for the summer and working on my tan. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it! I've also been trying some different summer app ideas for when friends come over, and I also find I prefer eating smaller meals during the hot days, and apps usually satisfy.
On hot summer days, I could sit with a whole watermelon and a spoon and eat the whole thing... but I don't because I tried that once and I got kinda sick, but you get the idea. So when it came to thinking of a fresh summer app, I wanted to use watermelon as the main ingredient. I seem to be in full grilling mode lately too, so it only seemed logical to grill the watermelon. With it being so sweet, I wanted to pair it with a salty component, and feta just seemed like a logical way to go. Add some mint, arugula and balsamic and you've got a great, fresh app for your afternoon on the patio. Plus with watermelon containing a high water content, it's hydration for all those patio beers... right?
Be careful when grilling the watermelon. If you leave it on the grill too long it will get a little mushy and that's never a good thing. We are going for a quick sear here, to get a bit of that grilled taste into the fruit, and cook off some of the olive oil. You could even try some different fruits with this app, as pineapple grills great. Be adventurous!
A few great things about this app are that they are delicious, look great, and can be made from start to finish in about 10 minutes!! Give them a try at your next summer get together, or next time you get a bit of a craving while sitting on the deck. Just be sure to invite me!!
- The Kid
Feta Cheese (crumbled)
1. Turn grill on to high heat
2. Cut watermelon into thin slices, then cut into squares.
3. Chop 3-4 mint leaves and add to olive oil. Stir to combine and blend mint flavoring into the oil.
4. Lightly drizzle arugula with olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. Lightly brush both sides of the watermelon with oil and place on the grill. Grill the watermelon pieces very briefly, approx 15 seconds per side.
6. Remove from heat and assemble with watermelon slice, crumbled feta, second watermelon slice, arugula (tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper), and finished with drizzle of balsamic glaze.