Tagliatelle Alfredo with shrimp, spinach and roasted red peppers
It's pasta Thursday! Let's be honest though, every day could be a pasta day and I would be very OK with that! It's got to be one of my favourite foods. Fresh made pasta noodles, fresh sauce, garlic, and other amazing ingredients to add and give layers of flavour to the dish.... yes please!
For this pasta dish, I was asked by a friend to make a shrimp alfredo, so here it is, with my added twist of course! Pasta alfredo is one of the staples in every Italian restaurant you go to, right up there with Spaghetti and Meatballs, and for good reason, it's delicious! A few years ago, I had only tried fresh pasta in Ottawa's Little Italy district, at their incredible restaurants, and was buying the "good dry pasta" from the grocery store. Then, after doing some research online, I discovered making homemade pasta noodles at home was absolutely something I could, and wanted to do. I asked for a pasta machine for Christmas that year and have been making my own pasta dough ever since! If you don't want to make homemade dough at home, try to find a local business (sometimes even a restaurant) who makes fresh dough for retail purchases. It makes a huge difference!
For this alfredo dish, I wanted to add some flavour to the traditional sauce. In addition to the garlic, i added sweet onions, and sun dried tomatoes, and garnished with baby spinach and roasted red peppers. The shrimp was pan fried with olive oil and butter, and seasoned with salt and pepper. If you can find a good deal on some of those jumbo shrimp I topped the pasta with, it's very worth picking up. It's very meaty and has a delicious flavour, plus it looks badass on top of your pasta noodles!
While it may seem intimidating, this is actually a relatively easy dish to make. Be sure to keep an eye on the shrimp as nobody likes overdone, rubbery shrimp. Be organized, and this will be a sure hit on your next pasta night!
- The Kid
For the Alfredo Sauce:
3 tbsp butter
3 cloves garlic (i use colossal)
1.5 tbsp olive oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups heavy cream
Salt and Pepper
For the pasta:
5 sun dried tomatoes (chopped)
1 cup baby spinach
2 tbsp roasted red peppers
10 pacific white shrimp
1-2 Jumbo shrimp
Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
1. In a medium-large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and onions and cook for 2 minutes, then add olive oil and cook for another 3 minutes.
2. Add cream and whisk to combine. Continue to whisk for about 2 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken a bit.
3. Add Parmesan cheese, and whisk to combine into the sauce.
4. Reduce heat to low, and add salt and pepper to taste. Add dried parsley
5. Keep warm on low heat until pasta is ready.
6. If sauce is too thick, use some of the pasta water to thin it out.
For the pasta:
1. Bring pot of salted water (can also add olive oil if you like) to a boil.
2. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
3. While the pasta cooks, in a small frying pan, over medium heat, add olive oil, and Jumbo sized shrimp and cook until pink and opaque in colour. (Because of the size of these shrimp, start them before the other ones so they finish at the same time).
4. In a medium frying pan, cook the regular sized shrimp in olive oil over medium heat.
5. Add the spinach and sun dried tomatoes to the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is just wilted.
6. Add pasta noodles and sauce to the shrimp/spinach pan and toss until the pasta noodles are all coated.
7. Plate and top with Jumbo shrimp